Ellie's Birth Week: Part 1

Hey Sweet Friends! I have missed y'all so very much! What a crazy week and a half it's been around here! I have so much to update on including The Pearl Event and our big kitchen reveal, but I want to share some about Ellie's birth week before I forget any of the details.
Ellie's due date and scheduled c-section was Sunday March 17. I spoke to Meg on Thursday March 7 just to go over last minute plans and make sure she had everything squared away with Charlie and Sam's schools for me to drop them off and pick them up. The plan was for me to come over on Saturday evening (the 16th) so that I could be at their house with the boys when they left at 5AM to go to the hospital. This way all of the grandparents could be there for the birth and I could keep the boys and bring them to visit that afternoon. Meg had already been having some contractions when I talked to her on the 7th, so I just told her that if something happened earlier to call me immediately and I would drive over to keep the boys.
On Saturday March 9, Meg's husband Phil was scheduled to work for Brandon as a relief vet so that we could go to Athens and meet with our accountant and do our business and personal taxes. That worked out and after our morning meeting Brandon went to play golf in Athens while I did some shopping. Around 4:30pm my phone rang and it was Meg. Long story short she was still having some contractions-nothing major, but her doctor called her that afternoon and told her that her grandmother had passed away and that she was going to be going to Athens for the next 4 days and if she wanted to she would go ahead and deliver the baby the next morning (Sunday March 10) before she left to go out of town. Her doctor had talked to another doctor and reviewed Meg's charts and felt that she would not make it to her original due date anyway, but if she decided to wait then there was a very high possibility that another doctor would be delivering the baby. So, they called and family and friends to see what worked for everyone and prayed about it. I told her I would be there that night, but it would be really late as we were still in Athens, which is about 2 hours 45 min. from Phil and Meg's house. Our house is the halfway point.
I was so excited I could not see straight! I sent her a text that read, "I'm so excited I think I just peed my pants a little!" Ha! So, Brandon and I enjoyed a delicious dinner at George's Lowcountry Table, then made our way back home. After we got home Brandon had an emergency call and had to go to the clinic. I was just throwing clothes into a bag trying to get out the door. It was around 11pm by the time I left our house and with the time change it was midnight. I got to their house around 1:15am and laid down on the sofa. It took me a while to fall asleep because of my adrenaline.
Phil and Meg woke me up to say goodbye at 5am and then I slept a few more hours before the boys woke me up. We had a lazy morning and got ready and went to the hospital to meet the new baby girl that afternoon. Helen Anna, "Ellie," was born at 8:30am on Sunday March 10, 2013. She weighed 7 lbs. 2 oz. and was 19.5" long.
 The boys were so sweet meeting their new sister.
 It was love at first sight! I even got to change her very first diaper and put on her first real outfit! What a gift!

 Meg's parents loving Ellie up!
 Busy Bee (that's what the grandchildren call Meg's mama) and I stopped on our way to the hospital the next morning and got donuts for everyone. Here is Sam enjoying his chocolate sprinkled donut.
 Meg's brother, Jim, is the baby whisperer. Babies love him!
 Happy family of 5!
 Bless Meg's heart. This was one afternoon that she finally got to take a nap without interruption. I held the baby and shooshed all the nurses, hehe.
Basically the days from then on were a blur. I took Charlie to school each morning around 7:45 and picked him up at 2:15. Sam has preschool on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so I took him at 9:10 and picked him up at 12:30. In between we were visiting the hospital, playing, switching duties with grandparents or Phil, doing laundry, preparing meals, cleaning, and being on the run. I think I averaged 4-5 hours of sleep each night. I did manage to get my oil changed one morning while both boys were at school. Juggling an almost 6 year old, a 2 year old and a newborn is a lot of fun, but is totally exhausting. For everyone.
 Meg came home from the hospital late Wednesday afternoon. The hospital gave them a cake, so they let the boys have some when they got home.
In the midst of all this we were totally short staffed at the practice. Our car accident employee is still out and had another surgery this past week. Our tech was out sick for 2 days and some other things were going on, so I came back to work late Thursday morning.
I drove straight from Ellerslie to Forsyth to the clinic and worked Thursday and Friday. We did not have a single open appointment either of those days or Saturday. I didn't eat or use the restroom once on Friday, plus we were there until around 7pm Thursday and Friday. You can imagine the sleep deprived misery I was in, but I was just so thankful that everything worked out the way it did and that everyone and our business is healthy and growing. I know I say it all the time, but we are blessed. So very blessed.
"I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him. So now I give him to the LORD. For his whole life he will be given over to the LORD." 1 Samuel 1:27-28

1 comment:

I sure do love hearing from y'all-you make my day!