Day #4 Whistler/Blackcomb

Okay.....so this is the post you've all been waiting for. This is where I let you know how our skiing went.
To start the day off we got up around 5:15 AM, loaded up, and got on the road. We stopped at McDonald's for breakfast, and by the way they don't sell biscuits at the McDonald's or anywhere else up here for that matter. We arrived at Whistler around 9:30 or so and headed out to find some ski rental options. When we got to the rental st
ore there was a couple in there and the man was wearing a camouflage "Vols" hat. Praise the Lord. Rocky Top. Sounds of Home Sweet Home were ringing in my ears. Turns out they were on their honeymoon and from Knoxville!! Plus, his wife had never been skiing before either, so this was just perfect. Turns out the husband works for a veterinary supply company and works with food animals (cattle, etc.), which is one of Brandon's primary interests in veterinary medicine. We hit it off needless to say.
We all rode the lifts up the mountain together. We had to get on three different lifts, if that lets you know how high up we were going!! So we finally reach the top and the view is nothing short of breathtaking. Pictures don't do justice for the perspective in relation to size. Did I mention that all beginner terrain is closed for the season? Only one green is open. I have skied once at Sugar Mtn. in Boone, NC. I got nervous when I got to the top and looked down.
I started off pretty descent I guess one could say. No falls. Slow and steady is the name of this girls game. I went along good for a few hours.
Also, did I mention that I have an extra bone in my left foot? It sounds gross, but it's true. It's located just above the arch and is shaped like a kidney bean. The bone has also been broken twice before and causes me
a great deal of pain when I stand for long periods of time or when I take part in various athletics. Anyway, my foot started to hurt. Very badly. Shooting pain. I got fed up with the whole "trying to be one of the guys, trying to be a trooper" mindset and had an emotional breakdown. Right there on top of the mountain I stood in tears. I was so angry. Angry because I was in pain, miserable, and ruining the trip for the guys. Skiing is really not my thing. Snow is really not my thing. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a water lover. A fisher, a beachbum, etc. I was stressed!! I proceeded to yank my boots off of the skis and walk down the mountain. I walked until I couldn't anymore, then I scooted on my butt. Yes, I scooted down the mountain toward the lifts and cried the entire way. It was beautiful, though.
When I got to the lifts the snow patrol was waiting for me to give me a ri
de down to the next set of lifts because we were too high up.
So, with the Knoxville couple in tow, and Heather in the same shape as me, she got a ride on the snow mobile, too. Chris offered to let Brandon and Russell ski so they could enjoy it and spend some time together while he took Heather and I to the bottom of the mountain. We got to the lifts and I was rapidly scooped up on one by myself. Being alone is cool with me, but my skis were not placed properly on my lap. Instead, they were left dangling off the back of the chair lift. All the while I was trying to get the ski poles wrapped around my w
rist and desperately tugging at the bar above me to pull down over me. It was stuck! STUCK!!! Are you kidding me?! I am nowhere near even 1/4 of the way down the mountain. There I went, plastered to the back of the lift, squeezing my skis with every ounce of my being to keep them from falling, praying to God above to just please let me get to the bottom of the mountain, and clinching my eyelids shut so that I couldn't see how far above land I was. I am terrified of heights. Terrified!
The good news is that I obviously made it to the next set of lifts or else I wouldn't be sitting here typing. When I got off the lift I looked down at my left hand to find that it was covered in blood from squeezing my skis so tightly. I couldn't even feel any pain because I was so thankful to be standing on the ground again. I got on the next set of lifts, which were enclosed, with Chris and Heather and we made our way down the mountain. During my moments of earnest prayer I promised I would kiss the ground when I got to the bottom, and I did.

Chris and Heather were so thoughtful to invite me back to the Four Seasons Hotel where they were staying and lay out by their pool. I had never been so happy to be laying out by a pool in my life. Thank y'all for having me and for the good 'ol southern hospitality that I needed. We will certainly be in touch!!!
Later I met back up with Russell and Brandon and we went out to the pool at our hotel, the Mountainside Lodge. Afterwards we got ready and walked around Whistler Village and got a bite to eat at a little place called Splitz Burger. Then we went by the store, bought some ice cream, went back to the room and put our pjs on, ate ice cream in bed, and passed out. What a long day!!! Thank God for my sanity, safety, and Tennesseans!

"When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?" Psalm 56:3-4

Photo Album Link:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I sure do love hearing from y'all-you make my day!